How to make a delicate departure from a dinner party.
1. Tell the group it’s time for you to head home.
2. Ask your husband to get your coat from the hall closet.
3. Thank the hostess for a great evening.
4. Let the hostess know she will be invited to your next dinner party.
5. Ask the hostess if you can have the recipe for her fabulous dessert.
6. Swap dessert recipes with the hostess and other interested ladies.
7. Kiss or hug everyone good-bye.
8. Find out what’s happening next week in everyone’s lives.
9. Admonish your husband for disappearing into the garage with the other male guests.
10. Wave enthusiastically as you leave the house.
For 100 consecutive days I will write and post a short story (about 100 words) incorporating a randomly selected word from Afterliff: A new dictionary of things there should be words for.
avening ptcpl. v.
Putting on your coat to say goodbye, then spending fifteen minutes saying it.
The brief moment of panic between realising your car keys aren’t in your pocket and remembering that’s because you’re driving.