Last week I attended the Queensland Public Libraries Association Conference and tweeted live updates for the first time (all tweets from the QPLA Conference have been captured here).
I was quite nervous about this as I wasn’t sure if I could:
- Offer any real value within 140 characters
- Keep my tweets up-to-date with the speed of the presentations
- Remember to use the hashtag (#) as an easy way to identify and search for Conference tweets.
But I’d followed live tweets from attendees at other conferences and learnt so much without actually being there; so I wanted to give it a go.
As a result I learnt that not only is tweeting a great form of note-taking because it forces you to focus on the key points; but it also allows you to include your own perspective to each tweet that you send.
10 reasons to go to #lianza11
- #lianza11: People.Love.Share. Share stories with people I love.Love people sharing stories. 3 words from Paul Brown http://linkd.in/rra5EQ
- Aroha Mead’s #lianza11 keynote “Sharing Power…” fits nicely with Dr Loriene Roy’s “…advocating for indigenous librarians” on Tues pm.
- #lianza11 unconference on Mon pm looks intriguing – building a stronger profession. Wonder what ideas will percolate?
- Can’t miss #lianza11 One City, Auckland Libraries. The largest public lib in the Southern Hemisphere. V.interested in marketing session.
- Karen Coyle. I enjoy Coyle’s Information (http://bit.ly/nAFCaO) even though I have no experience in cataloguing, metadata or MARC. #lianza11
- Andrew Booth at #lianza11 for evidence-based practice. We need more of this in library prof. Also sounds a bit like project management. 🙂
- Jenica Rogers. Don’t know much more than what the #lianza11 programme says but appreciated her article on vendors: http://bit.ly/n1PbHJ
- “Power to print disabled people through passion for information” Wed am. Chose this one to learn new stuff at #lianza11.
- Want to see how ShowGizmo #lianza11 works. Don’t have a smartphone but works on web too: http://bit.ly/n7ewko and http://bit.ly/qAJaT9
- Yay! Free wifi at #lianza11. Geek? Maybe. Addicted to Twitter? I can’t help it.
What are you looking forward to?
And if you see me at conference please say ‘Hi’.
PS. If you aren’t going to conference you can always follow the tweets (you don’t need to join Twitter).
A version of this article appeared in Library Life: Te Rau Ora, 6 October 2011.
Other articles that may interest you: